Thursday, January 27, 2011

I am a Child of God

Last Sunday at church we had a piano solo by a little girl-probably 10 or 11.  She played "I am a Child of God" and did a beautiful job.  While she was playing I couldn't help but notice all the kids sitting around me.  These kids had all been getting restless listening to the speakers, some were laying on the floor, some were coloring, and some were just plain fidgety.  However, as soon as the music started, the kids all stopped what they were doing and their attention was drawn to the front.  The little boy sitting on the other end of the row we were on started singing along; he knew the words perfectly.  Of course his mom kept trying to get him to be quiet, but it was like he couldn't not sing, so he continued to whisper the words of the song:

I am a child of God,
And he has sent me here,
Has given me an earthly home
With parents kind and dear.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him someday.

I am a child of God,
And so my needs are great;
Help me to understand his words
Before it grows to late.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him someday.

I am a child of God.
Rich blessings are in store;
If I but learn to do his will
I'll live with him once more.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him someday.

I am a child of God.
His promises are sure;
Celestial glory shall be mine
If I can but endure.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him someday.

That moment really left an impression on me.  That little boy, probably 4 years old, understood what so few people in the world just don't get.  He knows he is a child of God, and he knows that he is on this earth for a purpose. If only the rest of the world knew that.

I am so happy to know, just like the 4-year-old, that I too am a child of God.  I am happy to know that whatever trials and obstacles I face, that I have a Father in Heaven who loves me and is watching over me.  It helps to know that every person is a child of God, which makes it easier not to judge or take offense or lose patience with those around me.  Heavenly Father loves all of his children equally.  I am so grateful to be part of a church that teaches children from the very beginning who they are and helps them understand that they truly can return to live with God some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment