Thursday, March 22, 2012

Will You Donate Your Hair?

Even working for Deseret Book, I still meet all kinds of interesting people and have had some crazy experiences.  Other than people bringing in dogs (a story for another day) I had one of the craziest experiences the other day.  It went something like this:

Phone rings, I answer.

Customer:  I am doing a project on pioneer hair art and was wondering if you had any books related to the topic.

Me:  Pioneer hair art?  No, we have books on pioneers and the history of the early saints, but no books specifically on pioneer hair art.

Customer:  Oh, ok.  That's kind of what I figured you'd say.  Well, if you don't have any books, then let me ask you another question.  How long is your hair?

Me: Pause....It's pretty long, a couple inches below my shoulders, why?

Customer:  Because I need some hair clippings to create some hair artwork.  Would you be willing to donate your hair?

Me:  Laughs.....awkward silence.....Oh wait, you're serious?  You really want to know if I'd cut my hair and give it to you?

Customer:  Yeah, I've been asking some friends for a year, and none of them will save their hair when they get it cut, so I thought maybe you or some other employees would be willing to donate your hair for a good cause.

Me:  Sorry, that's not something that I can do for you, but maybe you should call some salons and see if they'd be willing to save hair clippings for you.

Customer:  That's such a great idea.  I never would have thought of that on my own.  Do they usually just throw hair away after they're done with it?

Me: Yep, I'm pretty sure that's what they do.

Customer:  That's great, I'm going to start calling some salons and see if they'd let me come pick up
 the hair.  Thanks so much, I knew that I could find the answers I was looking for by calling Deseret Book.  You've been a huge help.

Conversation ends...Customer is happy....I still have my hair...

The end.


1 comment: